R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:18 PM
lightfoot
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
Just finished racing my FGX with grooved soft Shimizu tires all around this weekend. These where mounted on Ride F10 wheels. The car was really planted and had tons of steering. This is on medium to high traction carpet.

Bad part was the front would hop and wiggle like crazy when being pushed hard in the corners. I had to keep changing the set up to get rid of the front end chatter.

The set up that worked best was:
Front
Shimizu grooved soft
3* caster/2* camber/zero toe
.018" springs
ride height 5mm
7mm wheel hexes for more track width

Rear
Shimizu grooved soft
2* camber/1* toe
stock FGX springs/oil with 3 o-rings used as a bump stop to keep the chassis from bottoming in the corners (really want to just get stiffer springs whenever they are available)
Added 1mm shim to the ball end that the shock connects to for more leverage over the suspension (also to make the spring seem stiffer)
6mm ride height.

Car was very fast with this set up. Got second to a F104W. Reeling him the last minute of the race, only 0.2 second behind at the buzzer. I could have won if I had one more lap!
Reading this was exactly the same experience I had today ... car is great on these tires... better then with the Ride super softs all around... but full throttle on a high speed bumpy bit of the track was kinda scary... front end was bouncing all around and would easily grab and over steer...

Does need stiffer rear springs...
This car definitely can take the fight to the 104...
Did end up breaking an upper front arm I fortunately had 4 spares in reserve after reading this forum ...

35 spur gear with a 36 pinion on a 21.5 novak motor on blinky mode... motor temps were around 130...

There was 3 of us on the track today... loved the noise these things make...