R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 07:12 AM
lightfoot
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
How are you setting your camera to get that short focal length? I want to do some VTA shots like that.
Not sure what VTA means

Those images of the RedBull were pretty easy to do... I used a soft box placed directly above the car... I shot them at F22 to maintain focus throughout the car... I used a longer focal length to compress the subject... 200mm... and placed the camera very low on the ground... I call the soft box, the "idiot box" ... because everything in front of it looks good...

Last two shots of the LM car shot with a wider focal length, I just added a rim light from the back with a lot of warming... The angle of the rim light in relation to the camera is important to pick up the reflection on the subject... I turned down the soft box a few stops to give it a more late afternoon feel and opened the shutter to 2 seconds ... The strobe freezes the subject and gives you the sharper part initial exposure, and the 2 second shutter picks up the remaining ambient light... I also played around with moving the camera during this two second...

Hope that answers you question