R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The 2011 US Indoor Champs "Cleveland"
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 02:42 PM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default classes....

I've been attending the Cleveland indoor champs for over 25 years and have loved each and every trip to Ohio. IMO, it doesn't matter so much what classes are offered (boost vs blinky, brushed vs brushless). Both are fun. Typically it's the same guys who will be at the top anyway, regardless of which class, motor, or speedo type they are running. The reason......some guys have awesome skills that the rest of us just don't have. My comment about classes is that there are just too many of them these days. Running so many different classes tends to water down the numbers and therefore the competition in each. I fondly remember the glory days of Cleveland when there were only two classes........stock 1/12th and mod 1/12th. The entry list for both was huge and it was an awesome accomplishment just to make it into the feature race. In the early years, the stock heats went all the way down to the M, N, O, & P main. We now have sedans and WGT's in addition to our beloved 1/12th scale cars, so that will add a few more classes. But I see no reason why we need to be running so many different class choices in each scale. 1 slower class and 1 faster class for 1/12th and sedan should be sufficient, plus one or two special interest classes like WGT or F1. Whenever the entry list gets watered down to the point that there are only 2 or 3 heats in any given class, the competition becomes far less interesting. It's much more important to have big fields and lots of close competition from top to bottom. Whenever there are lots of guys running the same class, by the end of the weekend, whatever 10 guys show up for their main........they will all be closely matched and their individual races will be super intense. To me, that's the whole point of attending a major race.....to find yourself in a main with 9 other guys at your same skill level. And of course to try and place yourself as high up the heatboard as you can manage. Having said all that, LET'S PLAY!!!!! I love the indoor champs like no other race. That much has not changed one bit in over 25 years.