R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Oversteer good for the rookie driver?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 01:16 PM
imjonah
Tech Addict

Default Oversteer good for the rookie driver?

I have collected a dozen setup sheets for my XXX-S and I have about twenty pages of recommendations for the best setup. I have that little $19 book on touring car set up. I have at least three lengthy guides to how to set up your chassis, also.

I have been assuming that if I set up my car like the pros recommend or other racers recommend; then my car will be faster and corner better for me.

Something, I read last night has caused me to re-think this assumption. The author said something to the effect; that, when you are learning to drive you want the car to over steer. A majority of the advice on chassis setup assumes you want to get rid of both over steer and under steer.

I wonder how much of the other advice I have been reading is really only applicable to the top drivers and either does not apply or is false when you talk about novice drivers.
When I read that a 1.17 battery has a lot more punch than a 1.16 battery; I wonder if as a novice I would even be able to tell.

I am sure there are ways of adjusting my Airtronics MX-3, particularly the expo feature, which would make learning to drive a lot easier, but all I find are recommendations for the experienced driver.

I have a decent charger which charges at 4 amps max. I am told I should charge my NIMH batteries at 6 amps. I would guess that for someone of my skill level the difference would be undetectable, but I do not know.

I think it would be helpful for some of us drivers who are new to the sport, to have advice, which might apply to us and not the more experienced driver.