R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - belt vs shaft
Thread: belt vs shaft
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Taylor-Racing
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rjl
But how many full size race cars run east west engine configuration? Formula 1 cars don't.
I don't notice any more deviation with the shaft car than I do with a belt drive.
Actually you're right - we have our terminoligy a bit wrong.
From your original post re the gearbox rotating in the opposite direction etc. we're really discussing a lateral weight transfer even though it may affect steering.
Torque steer is generally concerned with wheels that are delivering power (torque) as well as steering - typically in a front wheel drive car.

In a front wheel drive car most of the issue surrounds the steering axis and where it meets the contact patch of the tyre - plus other things like unequal drive shaft length and consequential unequal drive shaft angles.
Not having checked the geometry on an RC car, I'd think the steering axis isn't too bad since the top ball of the front knuckle is typically pretty much over the bottom one and therefore likely hitting the contact patch. This doesn't usually happen in full size cars 'cos the brakes get in the way.

Anyway, yes, F1 cars will experience the lateral weight transfer, but I'd bet they aren't capable of applying the same amount of "scale" torque as your RC engine and certainly not in the middle of their speed range. Also, they deliver 100% of their power through the rear wheels only.

EDIT: Ooops, should have read the last page - half of this stuff has been said.

Last edited by Taylor-Racing; 07-14-2004 at 06:19 AM.