R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Runaway action...
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 02:10 PM
blis
Tech Elite

Default Shooting video

Originally Posted by romain_f
Take it easy guys, Blis makes the best RC videos i've ever seen!!
Thanks Romain, any video that is shot is for RC. You are another than sacrifices watching the race and captures it for everyone else and I thank you for letting ppl like me in Australia see racing from around the world.

For those that think I need permission, over the years I have asked many drivers if they mind me shooting videos and not one has denied me. What is really tough for me is that I rarely get to shoot my own sons as I am in pit lane.

I operate to a set of my own rules that ensure I do not distract the drivers during qualification and finals. The close up shots are mostly shot at warm ups and practice, shooting from positions that do not block corners and apexes. During the racing I do my best to shoot from angles that are outside the view of the drivers stand.

Mugenville, for the Victorian titles I edited 45 minute video that was handed out and in the past I always sent the finalists a copy of their achievements, out of my own pocket.

As of now I will post youtube clips as unlisted and send my friends and subscribers links, so they can enjoy watching the best in Australia do their thing around the world.

For the technical, I now shoot interlaced 50i which gives me 50 half frames which makes it better for slowing down with interpolation software. The editing software needs to be able to choose the correct field order to do this as do the plugins that slow it down

The cameras I use are anamorphic HDV, that means it's 1440x1080 not true HD 1920x1080 and the image is stretched by using 1.333 pixel width ratio. A good camera allows for higher shutter speeds and neutral density filters to create the fashionable depth of field. Ultimately a good camera is all in the lens and a manual zoom ring makes all the difference for zooming in and out as the cars race around the track. I prefer using TAPE camera's as I can shoot many hours without the need to ingest the media. A typical 32Gb P2 professional memory card costs over $2000, so I dont use up my company's cards and use tape which I then have to ingest at real time. The last shoot was 5 hours worth of ingest.

The one area I must develop is using a tripod so I dont get camera shake when zooming in to the far corners of the track. The slightest shake becomes a huge bump, but anti-shake seems to soften the imagery, a good tripod head can be up to 10,000 and I will experiment in the future but the car are so fast and the subject matter so small. Its never easy and my lead cameramen at work really give me a hard time with the shake. It's a compromise I will need to reconsider.

3 minutes of footage can take up to 8 hours to edit, it can contain over 100 mark-in and out clips and transitions, I create my titles, source the results, compile them and make my own vignette and prepare logos and promote the sponsors where of an event possible.

Perhaps a magistrate would agree that there's a case for intellectual property in amongst the creativity but I never thought I'd have people ripping off my creativity, I only want to share with the rest of the world what great RC drivers and facilities we have so perhaps one day we will get a visit by drivers from other parts in world to race with our Australian

There are a lot of RC videos I really enjoy, they are all good because someone took the time to share it for free, I never see it as free for me though it belongs to the person that took the time to produce it.