R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Need a 17.5 and ESC (Blinky Mode) Suggestion
Old 10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
LMRacing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micro-E
You can. I just loosened the screws on the back and twisted the plate counter clockwise 7min (from 12 o' clock position) and tightened it back up. It was noticeable faster on the straights - let just say I am not getting beat because the motor is too slow anymore.
You can in the race motors, but the sportsman labeled motors are a locked endbell stamped motor. I have a pair of them, there decent motors at a great price as a spec system for club racing to keep things on the cheap and slower so that its a better class for begginers.

No, your not going to get slaughterd if you gear the car a little harder (the locked endbell motors generaly like a lower fdr than higher reving motors) and you run a clean line. People dont realise how much more important a clean line is that what car or motor your running. Hara could have won the IIC with a Team Acadomy car and a hobby wing if thats what he had to run just because of how clean and smooth he ran. Run whats comfortable to you. I was running a TC3 a few weeks ago as my primary car and just moved up to the TC6 and saw no improvement of lap times (though I did get a little more consistant). In fact I went a 1/10th of a second faster in my TC3 than I've been able to do with my TC6 as of yet.

As for FDR, it varies from track to track and driver to driver and differs also on electronics. I run an FDR of 4.33 with Duo3 and Revtech motors and ran a 4.17 with my duo2 to aquire about the same lap times. I now have a Reedy Sonic in the car that I will test for the first time this weekend. I run a TC6 and have a little difficulty running a smooth line. Friend of mine runs an original HB Cyclone and runs an FDR of about 4.22 and runs about half a second to a whole second a lap faster than me on average on a 100x60 or so track.

The infield plays a big role on gearing as well. The tighter it is the higher your FDR needs to be to keep the motor at optimal temp, if its a better flowing infield you can get away with a lower FDR number because the RPM's stay up

Hope it helps some