R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Spec 1/12 tire for stock?????
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Infinite 12th
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ByteStream
Being fairly new to 1/12 scale (6 months), I like the idea of a spec tire for 17.5 Stock/Blinky racing. I would have entered the class alot sooner if there was a spec tire at the club/national level. As the title of the thread states, I'm not talking about SuperStock or Mod.

It would simply eliminate a variable for me when racing. Instead of stocking or worrying about the right compounds for a given day/track condition I can focus my energy on my chassis setup and driving, knowing that other drivers are in the same boat, much like WGT. There are plenty of other adjustments on the cars to try other than changing tires.

A big thanks goes out to Mario and especially Kenny L, who helped me out tremendously with my CRC ride. He helped me get .4 tenths/lap better out of my car without swaping out my Black/GreyLow combo. I believe he was running Mag/Yellow which of course I did not bring with me and AmpDraw was sold out of. Another case for a spec tire I guess as there would have been plenty on hand.

I can tell you that being newer to 1/12, nothing makes me cringe more than seeing a brand new set of tires get trued down to a one-run-and-done set at a big race. I accept the reason and the benefits of doing so but it still makes me cringe. I saw that alot at IIC in 17.5 blinky. If the tires were spec'd, then you would only be allotted 3 sets (like WGT) and you would have to make sure that those lasted the entire race week at IIC, now that is something that I'd be interested in seeing the strategy for ...

Just my 2cents.
One run tires is just insane but not unheard of in 12th past

There has to be a way to get several runs with bigger tires with different chassis setup and still be dialed?