R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Pattojnr
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Debating on a new TC possibly, just browsing mainly. Really hear great things about the S411, and I know they came out with the V2 already, although not sure how long? Do you think Serpent will release a "2012" model?

I really like the XRAY T3 2012 too, but not sure. It seems there is a trend moving to front and rear gear diffs? Away from front spool and rear gear diff?

If anyone can provide their opinions and thoughts, it'd be much appreciated.
i previously ran the Xray t3. as i run gas onroad for Serpent , soon as the 411 was out, it was a must change for me. i drove the Xray for 3-4 months, was runner up at the WA state titles in Mod with the car. but i can say on teh very first outing wiht the 411 (practice day) 2 changes to the kit setup and i was already faster. Gear diffs are solid units, as Matt said, they are alloy geared, the Hex for the outdrive to crown gear prevents wear also, everyother diff out there uses a pin through the outdrive, and they can chatter and strip where the pin load increases. apart from one Mechanics error last round, i dont think i have failed to finnish a race due to the actual car failing me. it has been either electronics or personal error.

Diff question ......... front and rear geared diffs. for me , i went this way to try to ease the scrubbing of front tyres for our track. a high speed straight into a banked sweeper really hurts the tyres with the spool. also when using a front diff, go very heavy oil. it will still have a spool pull out of the corner, but you will have increased turn in. it also adds a little extra weight over the front axle, this can help with balance front to rear and weight transference.
but my main reason was to lessen the scrubbing of my front tyres. but i like the extra turn in .