R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya Ta06
Thread: Tamiya Ta06
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM
masterhit
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Big Midget
How is this car right out of the box? Anything extra I would need?
It comes stock with front and rear gear diffs right?

Sorry to interrupt guys.
My view is probably going to be a bit unpopular but.....

In my opinion, it is a car you have to "want to drive". All other things being equal, the driver of the TA06 is going to have the harder slog.

It will need some work out of the box to compete with your previous cars. On tight carpet tracks it loses a bit too much coming out of the turns to be competitive. So far I have failed after many hours to free up the drive-train to any where near the level of a two belt car.

Larger sweeping tracks will mitigate the issue.

Box stock it is a serious pig and it shows on the track. The easiest solution to that problem is a shorty pack. An instant 100 grams weight savings for about $60 in the US. They give up a bit in the voltage department, (see pic of my packs at 35 amps) but so far I feel that is offset by the weight savings if you do not have time and $$$$ to trim the weight in other ways. Even then it may have benefits as you are able to put the weight were you want it.

It has been beaten to death, but the stock Philips head screws must go, and as mentioned the aluminum turnbuckles are not conducive to an abusive driving style.....

If your racing in-doors a spool is an essential tuning aid (+ big drive-train weight savings) along with a good set of springs (Ride, HPI).

In the end my personal experience was that it took just as much money, if not a little more, to compete with the fore mentioned cars along with a higher level of commitment to the build. But, it can definitely have it's own rewards taking the path less traveled.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lipo-graph.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	823392