R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM
BP SHADOW
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

So I am trying really hard not to be the over opinionated guy that I usually am, and you guys are making it really hard.
My question to all is... Why does F1 need to be anything other than what it is already?
Everybody wants to change the cars, the rules , and anything else that they deem not right. If you roll all the opinions expressed on this thread into a class, it would be the same as any number of classes that already exist.
I said it before and i'll say it again, F1 is a unique class, snobby?Maybe, elitist? a little.
I like cool stuff as much as the next guy, and when it comes to F1 chassis there is a ton of cool stuff out there for sale. But when it comes down to it most of it is a derivative of the Tamiya chassis.
I am a dealer for Exotek, Yeah Racing and DDrive, and I hope to add more in the future. All of those companies make great products, but I have seen it time and time again, theres always a guy that shows up with minimal hop ups and runs away with it because he sweated the details and put the time in on the track.
There are a lot of people out there who right off the bat that want to discount a Tamiya chassis as a competitive race car, and this is where the class starts to fall apart. It is possible to take a stock 104 add $30-$50 of hop ups and be competitive. At that point chassis investment is right around $200.
Im not suggesting that the 104 become an F1 spec chassis, I'm more saying that the class does not need another chassis in the mix to confuse things further. The new 3racing chassis looks cool, and I plan on stocking it in the near future, but it does complicate things a bit, because of the difference in track widths.
Im not suggesting that new drivers stay away from the class, but I don't think that there should a push to make it a mainstream deal either.