R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 racing new F1
Thread: 3 racing new F1
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Stregone
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Evoracer
As a long time Tamiya driver I agree that Tamiya has all but kept F1 alive but I still have no clue why this call for standard sizing. None of these cars are extremely different and there are plenty of F104 drivers who would disagree that the F103 is "better" or has an advantage.
Here's something to consider. Unlike TC. which has achieved a basic dimensional standard, F1 is still in it's infancy since we're still using a pan car chassis. Other than the F201, there hasn't been any major development from any manufacturer. Now we're starting to see a number of small changes coming together that may eventually become the "standard". Some dimensions may HAVE to change to accomadate those engineering requirements. Active suspensions, inline batteries, different servo mounting, non direct drive....all these things and likely more may simply force the issue to outgrow the pan car dimensions.
F1 chassis like the F103 are dinosaurs. Yes, they still work but at some point , just like the first all wheel drive touring cars, they should be allowed to progress.
So the question is, do we as a buying public stimey the effort by holding on to years of same old,same old OR do we move beyond the horse and buggy and accept the Model T as a viable vehicle. Thats the difference between the pan car chassis and something like the FGX. Myself, I'm Looking forward to a new standard.
I don't think setting standard dimensions and tire sizes has anything to do with stifling F1. Touring cars are almost exactly the same size and use the same tires as they did in the very beginning. And look at how far they have progressed. I thinkt he real problem is that many rules (like ROAR's) state that the chassis must be solid axle, direct drive.