View Single Post
Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 PM
bassman2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default XRAY Challenge at Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter, TX

Sweep Racing tires EXP 50s did it again !!!! Just came home from the 2011 XRAY Challenge at Gulf Coast Raceway in Porter, TX.

The qualifying rounds started Saturday. For the 1st qualifying round, air temp was about 61 degrees. Therefore I decided to put on a set of EXP 45s. With the 45s I was able to set the TQ pace for everyone else. Second qualifying round I had a little trouble with my brake fading thus finished 2nd but no one was able to set the new TQ pace. By the third round the air temp had reached 89 degrees with asphalt temp of 116 degrees. I went ahead and changed my tires to EXP 50s all around. The decision was the correct one. I was able to set a new TQ in the third qualifying round.

The 40 min. A Main started around 1pm in the afternoon on Sunday. The air temp was about 90 degrees at the start of the main. I wanted to try a set of 55s but I didn't have a set available at the time so I went ahead and used a set of 50s for the main. Before the start of the main I realized 50s might be little too soft for the 40 min long main so I knew tire temp control during the race will play an important role in the main. As it turned out I was correct. After 25 min. into the main my car started to push little bid going into the turns and started to drift little bid coming out of the corners. At that point I started to ease on the throttle at acceleration and simply roll the corners little more to take home the 1st place win. Although the 50s worked fine but I think 55s would have giving me few more extra laps at the end.