R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Fastest Spec/Blinky Mode ESC
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 04:40 AM
TeamORCA
Tech Apprentice

First of all, it is not my intention here to start any discussion or argument by posting. I am merely clarifying some facts that seemed to be misunderstood.

Before the ROAR Carpet Nationals earlier this year, ORCA came out with an updated ESC of the Vritra called Mk2 - due to an update of hardware and software. Even though the look of the Mk2 is the same as before, but because of the changes, we decided to register the ESC at ROAR as a zero degree timing ESC again 2 weeks before the Nationals. (ROAR at that time did not require any testing for ESCs such as batteries or motors. It's just a registration procedure and the ESC will be listed as legal.)

Upon registration, there were some confusion regarding the oscilloscope output between ROAR and ORCA. Since the timing to the event was very tight, so ROAR wrote to us instructing us not to run the ESC at the Nationals. And since the original one looks the same, it was not allowed to be used neither.

Please note that up until then, ROAR did not have one of our ESCs to test (which was not required at that time). We were hoping to resolve the issue at the Nationals. The mistake we made was that we ran the ESC before we clear up the issue with ROAR. As a result, the penalty was handed down.

The penalty was a result of not obeying instructions from ROAR race director not to run our ESC, but ,not as some believe, caught cheating. ROAR did not have any oscilloscope at the carpet national, and nobody's ESC was checked.

ORCA USA understands ROAR's decision and had no objection. We kept good relationship with ROAR and are supportive of ROAR's effort to create fair racing classes. We do not have any thing to hide regarding our ESC. Next time at any national level big race, if an ORCA team driver wins a non-timing event, feel free to go to them right after tech and ask them to trade with you your favorite ESC. They will do so.

The above can be verified with ROAR and I have email also for back up.

Any other comments, please pm or email us directly.

With best regards,
Hans Tang

Owner
TeamORCA USA
hans.tang@teamORCAUSA