R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 1/10 TEN-SCTE ARR 4x4 Short Course Truck Thread
Old 10-12-2011, 06:32 AM
BashemSmashem
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ridley
As for this whole 3s debate, I don't think 3s has any place in the 4x4 sct class, for several reasons.

1. 3S is WAY faster. On tiny indoor tracks, it won't make a difference, on outdoor tracks, it makes a HUGE difference. Before anyone says it isn't faster, thats just plain BS. I did a fair share of testing on 3s, and it's WAY faster unless you are using a VERY low kv motor. Nobody will....racers will push 3s to the limit, just like they do 2s. If you don't think a good driver can harness the extra power, you are kidding yourselves...my e-scale lap times prove that. It's far faster, plain and simple.

2. 2s in the sct's gives a good class delineation from e-scale. Why try to make 4x4 sct into a cookie cutter e-scale class with a bobble head body? The lap times are already close enough, and the talent is already over diluted with "too many" sct classes.

3. Why make it so you need different equipment to go to different tracks? There's a track here running 3s now. They will soon see the folly in that when racers refuse to show up because they have equipment that fits into the other tracks's in the area rules.

4. 10 minutes is no issue on 2s. We have ran 10 minutes since 4x4 first came out. It can be done, even with the outdated 2 pole 550's and a stock weight Losi. Buy an 8000mah battery if you have to, but most of us have zero issues with a 6000mah battery. If you can't make 10 minutes, you are doing something wrong

Anyways, thats my .02. 3s will be the death of 4x4 sct...I think it may be the one thing that ROAR has gotten right with this class.
Originally Posted by Ridley
The weight is irrelevant. What's relevant is the wattage one can make with the extra voltage. Racers will max out as many amps as they can, thats what they do. They will gear everything as hard as they can, and be right back to the heat issues they have now. The only difference is the trucks will be ballistic fast, even more unrealistic, and even closer to e-scale. There will be even more of the "I broke my truck" threads, and more "issues" arise as drivers throw more power at their trucks.

Drive an e-scale on 4s or 5s. Your 4x4 sct will seem slow.....as it should. And what happens in e-scale? People gear them as hard as they can according to heat, and pull as many amps through the esc as they can get away with. So whats their solution? Let's run 5s, 6s..........

It's a never ending cycle. Nip it in the butt at 2s and keep 10th scale affordable and at a speed that is a stepping stone to the pinnacle of 4x4 offroad that is E-scale.
Couldnt have said it better !