R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - F1 - Can this become the shortcourse class of onroad?
Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 AM
liljohn1064
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA

If you haven't already seen the Ultimate F1 website, here's the link:

http://uf1series.com/index.html
Very cool. The only issue I see is the exclusion of F102/103 chassis. The rule set appears to be limited to F104 for stock. It will also exclude the new Sakura FGX, due out in a couple weeks, which is 10mm too wide, but uses the same tires as the F104.

So, to capture this interest in F1 nationally, there would need to be a modification to include F102/103 to run the F104 size wheels and rubber or foam tires. My only issue with foam tires in this class is racers truing them for mechanical grip too the point of not looking realistic. You can't do that with rubber. Forcing everyone to run the F104 tires as a control set might be enough to make the F104 competitive and get a lot of F102/103 shelf queens down and racing in the stock class. I agree with keeping the front suspension limited to realistic looking upper and lower control arms. As far as breakage, control arms and front wings. A front wing mounted to a heavy duty servo saver or spring loaded steering rack protector would save both the control arms and the wings (hint hint).

The very first time I ran my F103RM, everyone at the track put their stuff down and came and watched one car turn laps for 10 minutes.