R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 AM
sosidge
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by flexsta
Need some help getting over the line choosing between the M05 and M05PRO kits, also Include the newer M05S-SPEC TRF kit as well as reading previous pages a member said it was better value.

I know the exact differences but is it better to just get a new and good cheap M05 kit and upgrade only the parts you really need or do the people in the know (Veteran Racers) just get the M05 PRO and be done with it.

Looking at racing in Victoria some time soon, i just want the common sense approach so driver skill is more important than throwing money around.

What has confused me is that over at rc-mini.net they canned the clear shocks and thought i better just get the standard kit and get the right parts slowly rather than start throwing things out out of box.
There's not much in it. Depends on prices to an extent.

If you already have a body and electrics then a Pro (or preferably S-spec) is the obvious choice.

If not, then a standard kit is OK (especially if your races specify the Tamiya motor), but bear in mind that you WILL end up replacing a lot of the parts with the Pro/S-spec ones. IMHO an M-05 needs oil shocks, short springs, upgraded steering posts, upgraded servo saver, bearings and a ball diff before you even think about putting it on a track. The S-spec has all those parts (except the ball diff) and a bit more besides.

I bought a standard kit but if I had my time again I would buy an S-spec and a ball diff (plus the obvious body, tyres and electrics) and be confident I had a good racer.