R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 AM
wingman2
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bucketboy
Ran 1/12th for the first time yesterday,(10.5 blinky) car (CRC XL with bomb R) seemed good from the start but with a little on power understeer (exceed med fr and exceed soft rear, cs grip addative) swapped to med fr and med rear gave the car much better balance, didn't mess with any other setting to begin with, well impressed so far

Anyway my questions are:-

what is best, a high rev or high torque motor for 10.5 blinky

Ran 3 x 8min runs and tyres wear is totally parallel, is that normal are my castor (5) /camber (1) /toe out angles (.5) correct.

lap times in the second half of run were 0.4sec slower than at the start, is that due to addative, batteries or the motor getting hot (60deg)

Is it normal for for you hands to look like you have just done a oil change on the gearbox of a coal truck.

Bb
Welcome to the wonderful world of 12th car racing!

I normally find that I adjust the camber angle to suit the wear rate on the tyres. So, looks like you are spot on at the moment if the tyres are wearing flat. You may find though, as you change to either harder, or softer springs, you will have to change the camber angle slightly to get that flat tyre wear (as the spring will be compressing more or less with either the softer or harder spring).

With regards to the lap time dropping off, this could be due to all of the things you mentioned, but probably not the batteries (as the initial higher voltage normally drops off after the first few laps, not half way through the run).

Not too sure whether a high rev or high torque motor would be better. This is due to the size, and layout of the track you are racing on.

I run the original GM 10.5 (that you can not adjust the timing on the end bell) whilst other guys at the club run the LRP/Nosram x12 (with adjustable timing).

There really is not much in it at our club although I find I have to gear higher to get more punch from the bottom end whilst the other guys gear lower and then use the timing.

One thing for sure though, is my motor is the same temp at the end of a run as it is at the start whilst some of the others guy's motors are really, really hot!!

How long do you apply the additive and how much do you put on the fronts?

Cheers, Chris.