R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent S411
Thread: Serpent S411
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Dragonfire
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
all the spec R and xray diffs all have composite gears. they do blow out. where as the serpent hasnt blown out , due to the material of the gears. its more so the diff action your looking for. 2 gears can be tuned the same as 4 with oils.
Originally Posted by jrxs-r
IMO, I really don't think that a 4gear diff is really needed. The 2 geared diff is plenty strong enough, and can take a multitude of Mod punishment without breaking a sweat. As Patto said, the 4 gear diff is a tuning tool (read as in optional), and it is rare in this day and age for any manufacturer to include 'options' in the kit. One of the other reasons for leaving it out of the kit was to bring the price of the kit down to a very competitive level, without sacrificing performance.
I had no experience with gear diffs before owning this car but all the testing I have.done has.told me the.opposite is.true. The two gear diff has very constant performance giving you he same.amount of limited slip effect regardless of how much diff action is going on. When you run the 4 bevels you get an increased limited slip effect in realation to how.much diff action is going. To me the 4 bevels is more like a ball diff in how.it drives. You can also get away with a lighter diff when using 4 bevels bit still get drive off corners.

In the end it depends on what you need as to what is better but most people who have one.locally has put in the extra bevels when I suggest it to the and find it a better car to drive.