R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MTX 5
Thread: MTX 5
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 AM
TomB
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
It really does just feel like the front alone lacks steering, which relates to not wanting to turn in, and what feels/looks like chronic understeer.

But, I'm wary of wanting to simply shift ends in grip levels, as while the back end feels grippy it does not feel too grippy if you get what I mean, the back can be coaxed into a bit of a slide of which it pulls out of nicely though.

Given a lot of toe out made it so much better, or at least driveable, that seems to confirm it's lacking grip on that end, so I think it just needs a softer front end, while kind of trying not to soften it too much in relation to the rear.

Just ordered a couple of minor parts I will try next outing, basically some more two hole pistons for the front, purple front springs, and I'll try a fill of 450cst oil all around, I wanted thinner bars front and rear but I'm told they are two weeks off coming in.
i recon the two hole pistons will be the thing that makes it steer better. I'm not sure if you remember but back in the mtx4 days people would use 2 hole pistons on the front because the 4 had the same understeer on entry issue. I'm only guessing, but i recon the thick oil packs up on entry because it can't pass throught the piston hole.

if you have spare pistons, try drilling three holes into some pistons for the front and run 600wt oil, and see how it feels. Personalyl i wouldn't go to really soft springs because sometimes it makes the car feel mushy.

if you want more overall grip on the front you can also go with a narrower front end. Whenever i race on a slippery track i go as narrow with my track width F&R as possible, as it gives great grip to the front and rear. Only 1mm narrower each side is more than enough, you'll be suprised. Just go narrower on the FRONT to begin with, then if you want try a narrower rear.

are you using the 25 tooth pulley or the 26? If the mtx5 is anything like the NT1, then 1:1 front and rear drive the car will handle better with equal front and rear diameters, on a long race usually the 1:1 drive front and rear feels nicer and more consistent that the overdrive to the rear (just my personal preference though)

Last edited by TomB; 09-26-2011 at 06:06 AM. Reason: wanna say more stuff