R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2 stage pistons...Do they work?
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
nytryder
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Use the oil you have in there to start with. If it feels like the chassis is swaying excessively then go up. It will take some time and experimenting to get it just right. I was running 35wt front and 40wt rear oil in mine(1.2/1.3 front, 1.3/1.4 rear pistons in d8 shocks/ssclcg slash4x4) for my truck at WCRC and it was great. I went to 2 different outdoor tracks and it was too stiff and ended up with 30wt front and 32.5 rear. Went back to WCRC and the truck was hard to control till I put the heavier wt oil back in. I still don't know why it can work so good on one track and bad at another, but when it's set up right for each track individually, it's REAL good at both,...much better than single stage pistons.

EDIT...Also, not sure what chassis you're running, but don't go off my piston hole sizes when comparing your setup. My holes being larger in the rear are from my doing some prototype testing and what is being offered by rcshox now works better. I have been testing on another identically setup chassis like mine and have found that on the D8's,the 1.2/1.3 pistons in the rear (which is what rcshocx offers )with lighter oil works better than the bigger holes/heavier oil that are used in mine. Your results will vary.

Last edited by nytryder; 09-22-2011 at 12:00 PM.