R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Another pit trailer build thread!
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Bobby Z
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R6cj69
Ok guys I need some help/suggestions. I'm about ready to start building my work bench and can't decide what to make the top of the table with. First off let me say I plan to have a 5' wide by 2' deep table and a peg board on the wall in front of me.
I either want to lay down the plywood and cover it with a low profile gray carpet or use the same white shinny tile board that I have on the walls and ceiling. I feel like the tile board will give it that nice clean look for a while but I feel like over time the scratches and dirt will really start to wear down the finish and look of the table. I plan to use a couple of pit towels if I go this way.

If I use the gray carpet I won't really need the pit towels on the table but I'm just not sure if thats the look I want....any suggestions???
Carpet installed on the table will be hard to clean if it is permanently attached. Dirt and oils and fuel will eventually stain the carpet and it will look terrible very quickly.

I would go with a smooth surface similar to the walls and lay down something over them when you are working on something dirty. You can purchase the Upgrade RC pit mats but they can get expensive if you need to cover alot of space. The other option instead of a standard 'pit towel' is to buy some yoga mats. They come in 8 foot long rolls and work great as a pit mat. They stay put on the table and can be removed for cleaning when needed and are inexpensive enough to replace every few months.