R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4 TC Thread
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2002, 11:30 PM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

Uggh, I wish I could say I had a great day, but such was not the case.

With the Yokomo, the first round I went out there with brand new tires and no traction sauce on them, and the thing was too loose to drive for half the race, so it was a rather terrible qualifying time. By the second half of the race, my car was hooking up pretty well though. mo's setup was really dialed (though I was not running the rear camber mod, just the front).

I made a huge mistake before the second round in taking out my Green 3 and trying a new motor. Had a newly trued P2K2 with new brushes and everything, geared at 7.19. About 1/3 into the heat, the motor started slowing, and let go near the end. First time I've had/seen a P2K2 go down like that. D'oh. I still managed a run that landed me on the bubble for the A.

Third round, tried an MVP. Speed was up, but about 30 seconds into the race, one of the universal joints ejected the pin into the carrier and locked my drivetrain. So that was that, and I was quickly bumped from the A.

B main, I was TQ. Speed was OK, car was dialed, everything else was good. But I got punted off the track on the start and had to fight my way out of last. To much traffic and I think I ended up 3rd or so. By that time I was more concerned with how the car was handling, and although it was still slower than the high-A cars, it was driving VERY well. It was really a shame that I didn't get a good qualifying run because the car could have definitely been competitive. Oh, and I was smart enough to take an extra lap after the race 'cause I was having fun battling a guy, and guess what? Same pin ejected on the same universal, 'cept it was one I borrowed, so I felt pretty dumb. I don't mind wrecking my own stuff but I hate doing it to other people!

I did OK in Mod with the Losi considering that I had never run foam before -- and it showed. In the very first heat I had a tire go on me in the back straightaway, I was high-revving near top speed and suddenly the car just flipped around. Oops.

In the Mod A main I was running third about halfway through when my ESC blew the capacitor -- that was something new as well. The car lurched into a wall, with a shower of sparks coming out the back. I was thinking, "so much for that Fantom 10 double..." before I realized what had happened. I still had throttle but a marshal had picked up my car, so I lost about 15 seconds while I yelled at him to put it back down, and continued on my merry way. It was still fun though. Everybody should give foam mod on carpet a try at some point.

Anyway, there's my race report. I also picked up TQ in Stock Truck, in an old Associated T3... the first time I had ever even driven a truck, let alone raced. So that was reasonably cool. I think I was totally sandbagging though, I felt bad, since the competition was mainly kids & teenagers.