R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 12th scale front end wars...lol Double wishbone vs. Old school and reactive castor
Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
odpurple
Tech Elite

A few observations:

The statement from the SM website is pretty dated (notice the reference to the Rev3) and as such is only referring to the difference between the old skool front end and the AE 12L4 front end that almost everyone used at the time. The old skool front end works great, I ran it on my SpeedMerchant and Quad 12 cars for a long time. As good as the 12L4 front end is when built right, there are (arguably) better reactive caster front ends out now. SM's current "Formula 3" front end is super adjustable and can be set up with reactive caster.

It's not all facts or marketing. Personal preference has an effect on what will work best for you. I'm pretty partial to the T.O.P. Rebel reactive caster front end, it is so smooth and adjustable (convenient, no?). I'm glad there are a lot of choices available, that makes 1/12th scale fun.

The old skool front end won't bolt up to the Rebel 12, it's 3 bolt lower arms have a completely different screw pattern. I see no reason to cut a special chassis to find out what I already know. I mean, it would be fun, but there are too many other things on the "to do" list