R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Basic car setup
Thread: Basic car setup
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Tom G
Tech Addict

First things first, make sure your steering servo is centered and wheels and pointing straight forward. Set your throw. Once you get this, setting toe will be a matter of adjusting the steering linkage arms. It always works out [for me] that it is a repititious set of steps [just as I think I have one thing set, I'll set something else to find out it changed what I'd previously set.

Droop is your basically upstop, unless you have the ability to use different positions on the bulk heads to position the hinge pins. You would use these first, then set your upstops.

5degrees sounds a bit much for one wheel. Might work, it just sounds odd, since the setting is usually given per wheel [just finished seeing an Xray 18 on eBay with severe toe in on the rear and wondered how much speed he gave up and how badly his tire wear was...].

What are you setting up? Electric droop is much more important than in nitro, but should not be ignored ... most nitro semi-serious racers will be more concerned with arm travel and tweak than with droop ... tire wear kinda almost forces you to re-set it after every run ... most nitro runners rely on arm travel and I can't remember seeing a nitro bulkhead with multiple holes for pins either...

Visit the Hudy.net site. It has loads of info and they do a great job explaning it [on the instruction PDF for the set-up station] although I'm sure I've simplified and/or butchered it, LOL.

No expert here, but this is how I've been working with it. Hope it helps!

^5