R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - lightweight touring bodies, do they last?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Mb3195
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
My wife tells me that fairly regular, but I'm not often wrong when I open my mouth.
You should choose sources that know what they're talking about.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/un...port/5281.html

A F1 car pulls the highest G, up to 5.5G, under BRAKING. Do some research on traction circles, you'll start to understand. Or, even simpler, pay real close attention to onboard telemetry data during a race.

Anything over 3.5 lateral G is usually attributed to corner banking, or the spike is so brief it's not a true, sustained lateral cornering load. Such as the corner in Istanbul mentioned here.

Indy Cars at their first Texas Motor Speedway race subjected drivers to sustained G loading of over 4 G's, and it still wasn't 100% lateral G [which is the cornering component of G force], due to the banking of the track.
No, it's not.Again, if the weight of the shell is supported by the suspension springs, it's SPRUNG weight. If you wanted to make the shell UNSPRUNG weight, your body posts would have to be attached directly to the suspension hubs. 1/8th scale Nitro on-road does this for the rear body mounting through a "floating" body mount, but I've yet to see a system to do the same on the front.

On a typical electric TC, the Tires, inserts, wheels, stub axle, axle nut, wheel hex, steering knuckle [or rear upright], C-Hub, outboard pivot pin, camber link fastening screw [as well as the steering knuckle screw on the front], camber link shims, and the ball end are the ONLY items of unsprung weight on the car. An easy way to demonstrate it to yourself, measure the height of every item on your car, then take the springs off and check again. Anything with a drastically different height measurement is sprung weight.

I quoted everything you said, did you mention CoG in invisible letters somewhere? My disagreement is with your incorrect understanding, usage, and implications of the terms you decided to use.

I probably sound like one too, but only because I know how to spell.

You want to live in ignorance? That's fine, but no reason for others to swallow up your incorrect drivel without someone at least TRYING to get it right.

Nobody's disputed a lower CoG with LW shells, and remember kids, terminology counts.
zzzzzzzzzzzz got bored reading halfway down!!!

You've got a wife? Man alive, she needs a medal!!