R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TAIWAN Talk Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 AM
dino.tw
Nitro Tech

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Dino, I appreciate your thoughtful answer to my question.

By the way, taller=smaller FDR number. For example, a FDR of 6.95 is taller than 7.28. On the other hand, 7.28 is shorter than 6.95.

Coming from racing electric, gear ratio is one of the most important tuning parameters. With a high bite track, you generally want to gear as tall as possible since you can keep the corner speed. However, you do risk burning your motor if you gear too tall. I don't know if and how this applies to nitro engines. They seems to have so much power I shouldn't have to worry about overgearing? or should I? This is why I asked the question.

Yes, the lap time will tell what works better, but there is so many other varibles from one run to the next (tire size, temperature, traction) I can't be certain if it's this or that.

I will have to try to keep my hand on the throttle more. But this car rolls so darn free that I feel it will never slow down in time to make the turn unless I apply brake.
To the nitro car it just opposite to EP. If your 2nd gear is too short,your engine may be burnt when your tyres are too small. It usual happen on Japanese kits or Taiwanese kits. When your engine over-rev,it is a serious damage to any moving part. Most stock gear is design for brand new tyres. The new tyre diameter is about 64mm or so. But when you use less than 60mm tyres your engine will work mare hard. So it also concern to foam-tyre characteristic is different to rubber tyre.

We have to record the wearing speed to any track. Sometime it is 1mm/10mins or so. Before the final start,we have to choice the right size of tyres and suitable drive high. You have to know what size tyre that your car is the easiest to drive. Big tyre has better grip but small tyre more easy to control. Also you have to know the overdrive change ratio to your front & rear tyres. The rear tyres usual wear more fast. So this parameter is also very important to long time final.

Then the grip change condition to this track. The surface temperature more high the grip more less. And the track usual has less grip on the morning. So use softer tyres on morning and noon but harder tyre on evening. Some track has huge different grip on morning and evening. That is what expert care about first if he first time be the track.

With the right tyres you are 80% to the way.