R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 06:01 PM
LasagnaCat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty
The drag brake seems fine, I don't normally use the brakes much in a race. What do you mean when you say they are "bad".

(go easy on the "no brakes" comment, I've only been at this for about 9 months! )
My primary complaint is low-speed braking, it just isn't there. To take that to an extreme, if pulling up to the starting line or pulling off the track after a race at some point the car just rolls (and rolls and rolls) until i hit something, full brake on the radio the whole time. End of a straightaway, brakes are fine... minor braking adjustments mid-corner on the slower infield sections.. good luck. That's not a huge issue at full race speed in VTA, but of the four different esc's we've used (in VTA) they're the only ones that do that (we have two Cirtix, both the same.) As far as the drag brake, we have one esc set at 50% and one at 40% and it works... but feels like any other esc set at 10-20% drag brake. I feel like at 50% the car should be airborne and sideways anytime I let off in a corner, and the braking action is weak... started the season with a Novak Slydr (and had a Havoc in the same car) and the drag brake was set at the lowest setting on each... same setup on the car. felt great with both Novaks. They're set where they are because I finally just gave up on them, kept increasing the drag brake % without the esc feeling all that different. With all this being said, we've been running outside on asphalt at a track the size of an aircraft carrier. With the super wide lanes and rolling corners the esc has been okay, but I'd never consider running it on a tight carpet track or with anything faster than the 25.5. (shrug) Radio settings are fine, on power response is fine, size is great, but brakes (for me) are bad. Mostly positive reviews for the esc before I purchased it (other than the old ones not working with the Ballistic - doh!) but in my 20+ years in the hobby the Cirtix is a somewhat underwhelming esc. Maybe I bought two lemons, mileage may vary for others... both were purchased new and have been like this since day 1.