R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Newbie intro and questions
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
jasons56
Tech Addict

Jason wrote:

The first mod I suggest to any novice racer is a decent servo if your car doesn't already have one. Having a decent servo and a nice tight steering linkage can do wonders. Its not flashy or fast but it can make a world of difference to actual lap times. Driving a good line and not wrecking is worth so much more than just about anything else lap time wise its almost comical.

Bashing around your yard or parking lot it doesn't matter much, but when you get to the point when you can make 2 laps without wrecking - a good servo setup can make a huge difference.

I can't tell you how many times where a new racer is having all kinds of "handling problems" and chasing chassis setup. Usually when they let me try to drive it I can't hardly get around the track and its almost always a worn out servo or sloppy steering linkage at the root of it.
Or improper tire prep or selection. Both of these things are relatively cheap to get right.

Its hard to learn how to drive a good line if your car has a mind of its own.

I would take a Rustler with a good servo over a $250 chassis with a bad servo any day! Having good tires and a car that goes where you put it are worth more than anything else.