R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric motor got up to 184 degrees
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 PM
tc5 man
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by JimmyS1985
Well come to think of it, I did get a ton of wheel spin, everyone told me under 160 was safe, and I figured 184 was way too much, or Id ruin the magnets inside the motor (this is just word of mouth, asides Nikola Tesla's original design I have no idea how electric motors work other than heat is bad for them) It was like a skating rink out there, I was getting squirrely if I got on it too much.

Ok so 184 is fine? Ill try it again tomorrow, actually I have a 16t pinion in reserve, Ill hook it up to the hotwire before I run it tomorrow and turn the timing down all the way cuz torque is not an issue and these high discharge batteries compared to when I first bought it, when i first bought it, 25-35c was norm for a 4s 5000mah lipo, but Im figuring with the higher discharge of the newer batteries of course things are going to get much hotter.

I just wanted to check here because the motor has been VERY good to me, its the one thing on the car that never breaks and I want to make sure that Im treating it well in return. Like I said, I really dont know all that much about electronics, Im more a 1/1 scale drag racer at heart, had a 330whp MR2 Turbo that ran 11's, so I don't really understand this new hobby I have gotten into and appreciate the n00b friendliness of this forum.

in my opinion i think 184-190 is fine temp wise, if you touch the motor and its so hot that you cant hold your finger on it for a sec or fry a egg on it than its way to hot !

yes you dont want the magnets in a electric motor to get hot for sure !
i think 30c or higher 4c lipo is ideal to run for efficently and power.

I do agree with you about the motor running, 150-160 degress it will give you to much wheelspin i expreience it on a dry dusty track it might work better on a moist track though.

i run 30c 4c lipos on my truggy.