R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Electric motor got up to 184 degrees
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM
JimmyS1985
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Electric motor got up to 184 degrees

I was trying a new battery in my setup (RX8, T8 1900kv, 47t/15t gears) it was a high discharge nano-tech battery and it made the car noticeably faster, people were asking me about my setup and why it was going so fast and I had to give credit where it was due, it was my 5000mah 45c-90c 4s nano-tech lipo I just got, its first time out on the track.

When I pulled the car off the track though I noticed heat eminating from the motor when I had my hand around, and it wasn't particularly hot out. I checked it out and the temp gun said 184!

Im wondering if I wasted my money on this battery, it clearly makes the car fast like a bat out of hell, but I don't think I can use it short of some significant changes to allow the use of this high-discharge battery.

I dont know what the max c on my normal battery is, its 40c minimum so probably around 80, but I never get over 160 fahrenheit on that battery, usually well under it.

Anyways, is there anything I can do to accommodate the new battery without frying my motor, or am I too dangerously close to destroying the engine at those temperature levels?

Perhaps I should retard the timing of the motor in the Hotwire, or put some holes in the buggy body?