R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Crashby
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Newbie to 1/12

Originally posted by jas1
I am after a little advise from you guys, i was all set to go out and buy a associated L4 as my first 1/12 car, but then i found the new CEFX C12 car, has anyone out there being running the c12, is it a strong reliable car, and what is it like to setup.
i do like the look of the car, but i dont want to end up with a car thats going to be a hand full for a newbie (am a newbie too 1/12 but have been running a nitro scale saloon for quite a number of years)
or would i be better off with the likes of the rc12l4 with its much simplier design

any comments would be greatly appreciated
Just like buying a new computer, you should first know what applications you are going to be using before you buy one. Same thing holds true for radio controlled cars.

Most of the recent model releases from the various 1/12th scale kit manufactures are really designed for racing on carpet. This is evident by the thickness of the new chassis and the lack of lightening holes in the chassis. If you are going to be racing strictly on carpet, then you would want a CEFX or the Associated 12L4. Both are T bar cars but designed for carpet use. There are a couple of other good 1/12th carpet car kits available as well. The Speedmerchant and CRC Carpet Knife come to mind but they are not T bar cars. These kits have the batteries, the largest weight mass, located as close to the center of the car as possible. This provides a low polar moment which will make the car pivot better on high traction carpet. Some of the 1/12th modified carpet racers are running a stiff (CEFX, 12L4) for carpet modified and the Speedmerchant and CRC cars for carpet stock classes.

On asphalt I have found that the 12L3, Yokomo YRX12, Quad 12 and other T bar cars that have the batteries located further out away from the center line of the car, provides better traction for asphalt racing as they transfer the weight to the outside wheels better.

IMHO.

Good Luck!