R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hpi Pro 4
Thread: Hpi Pro 4
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2004, 05:44 AM
VenomWorldOrder
Tech Elite

Default Re: Diff clicking/cracking

Originally posted by Rich_p
I have a problem with my rear diff. When forced the front diff will slip slightly, you can feel it with no resistance. When doing the rear there is no slip it just makes a cracking sound. At the last meeting the diff seemed to bark when exiting corners.

So I rebuilt the diff and the problem got even worse, it sounded like there was gravel in the gearbox! I have now rebuilt it again, including the thrust race and it still makes the cracking sound instead of slightly slipping when turning both rear wheels and holding the front ones still. If I run it any looser it just slips.

Any idea what the problem could be?
no it isn't the nut, what is happening here is your rear crown gear is not shimmed correctly onto the rear diff gear, so when you apply hard power the gears are skipping. this was happening to me and a few other pro4 mod racers at my track. shim the crown and main gear correctly so there is no play, and shim the diff correctly so there is no lateral movement either.

i know the sound, it sounds crackerly out of corners then it stops, it may also make the sound under hard braking correct?