R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 11:00 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DesertRat
As I understand it, the difference is the bump-steer. A car with level turnbuckles will typically have a small amount of bump toe-in, its never much but in a 1/12 scale car a few thousandths can mean a lot in how it runs, while a car with the angled servo and turnbuckles will have a small amount of bump toe-out. The difference as I understand it is that the bump toe-in will make the car more aggressive in the corners when the front suspension compresses and the bump toe-in effectively turns the wheel more in, while the toe-out will make it more mellow by angling it out slightly. Just last weekend I went from a laydown servo arrangement to an angled one and saw no real difference in the cars aggression or steering throw needed to make it run.
Partly right partly not right...A flat servo will have more bump steer but the toe-in gained from the bump steer will make the car less aggressive in steering. Additionally the flat servo will have less ackerman than the angled servo. So you have your toes backward...toe-in will make the car more mellow where toe-out will make it more aggressive.

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I'm trying to put together a car to go carpet racing.

What is the best front end I can get for the standard 1/12 mounts? CRC Prostrut? BMI Copperhead? Serpent?

Also are there other economical methods of upgrading existing older style front ends like the CRC front end prior to the Pro Strut?

I'm not very familiar with the various types of front ends out there other than the AE reactive caster units that came originally in the RC12L3. Can someone give me an education and history of the reactive caster front ends?
I will admit I am a bit biased but my favorite front end is the new BMI one...however it takes a bit of getting used to. Of the normal strut type front ends I would recommend the CRC with the long upper arm conversion...very smooth front end.