R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Car settings with the most effect...
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM
PTP Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would say the BIGGEST changes are springs and sway bars. These 2 adjustments make the biggest changes in traction of any I can think of. I might change ride height a little based on how rough the track is but I usually keep the difference between front and back the same and thats where the ride height has an effect on handling. I'll change droop but usually that has more to do with traction rolling or how rough the track is. If I need more or less traction I go to sway bars first and springs second. A softer sway bar or softer springs will allow the car to put more of its weight where you need it for traction. Shock oil is mostly for the same thing as droop almost because you want it thin for rough or thick to slow suspension reactions to stop a dive or traction roll.

For me if I go somewhere and Im struggling my first change will be the sway bar on the end of the car Im having trouble with. If I need more steering I will use a softer sway bar or if Im really loose I'll use a softer one on the rear or if traction is high and I need more steering a stiffer rear sway bar will give some of the effect of a softer front but without making the car prone to traction rolling. Then springs and shock oil to match the oil. Softer springs allow the car to squat more both on acceleration and decelleration. When your car leans or squats it puts more of the weight on the wheel or wheels its leaning towards and if youve got the right tires weight equals traction. The speed at which the shocks react is controlled by the oil. I mostly match the oil to the springs Im running and aim for the car to settle evenly when dropped. Next would be alignment. Toe makes a pretty big difference but IMO camber is just used to get the best contact patch possible. Caster is an adjustment I use when switching from tight to more open layouts and antisquat is mostly set for how rough the track is. Roll centers are a great adjustment but few really understand it well enough to make good decisions about adjusting it. Im still learning or should I say trying to figure it out after 10 years racing. The last thing I would consider changing is my diffs. IMO its too much work for too little gain.

Everything is a balancing act. You wouldnt want to run 80wt oil and your softest springs and you shouldnt go too far with an adjustment on the front without considering an opposite adjustment in the rear.

Also another thing to consider is driving habits. I know a lot of people who drive way to fast into corners then complain their car is pushing. Sometimes the problem is the line taken or speed its taken not the setup at all. My bet is that if your setup is in left field then your driving probably is too....just sayin.