R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Your thoughts on R40 for first time Nitro sedan owner...
Old 06-24-2004, 08:31 AM
TerraX
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Durable?

Originally posted by gonzoY5
I drive an MTX3. I'm very happy with it and it was my first car. I'm fighting my way in the A-mains in my local track. I've found it very durable and amazing out of the box. I considered the R40 based on the budget I had originally, but was able to squeeze a bit more $$$ into my investment. My only question, and I want to pose this question for you R40 guys, and hopefully you will answer without bias, is this car truly durable enough? I just ask because there are about 4 r40's running at my local track, and honestly, those cars are the ones with the most broken parts. Given the drivers aren't the best either, but they're not terrible. They seem to break more often on the slower hits that a Mugen or Serpent typically make it out of unscathed. Any car can break easily if you crash when hitting top speeds, but those slow speed breaks are the ones that agravate me the most. Honestly, how do you r40 guys feel in regards to this? I'm not saying a Mugen or Serpent will never break with a soft hit, but I'm going on my local observations, and the R40 seems a little fragile. Relative to other cars you guys race against, what are your thoughts?
I don't know that I would go so far as to say it's fragile, but I will say the plastics are not as high quality as those found in Serpent and Mugen (only observed Mugen). The trade off being part cost and availability. I think the R40 is a great chassis to work from and believe it's a great entry level nitro tc to have because of the parts availability.

The way 3rd party parts are coming out for the R40, I won't have too many stock HPI parts left on mine