R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Magic G4
Thread: Team Magic G4
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Mr_Poo
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by blis
Regardless of the terminology, the result is that TM's understeer REALLY well as the weight shifts to the front. In that I mean it's hard to distinguish that you are understeering because it handles the understeer in a very linear fashion.

It's when under power the weight shifts to the rear that the problem of rear snap occurs because the front wheels were slipping into a corner with too much steering angle. So in order to compensate you have to reduce the angles and be more aggressive at the wheel. Or.. use a softer shore on the front, or suspension.. or .... whatever you want to do to overcome the issue.

This was evident when we ran our EVO at the titles on a gripped up track and Luke reported how hard it was to drive because it was too twitchy. This to me meant that we were getting the full effect of the steering and how you want to rectify this depends on you, several ways to do it

This is our track..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wI2kL9-WbQ

Luke started his driving in EP and has very smooth lines and driving style. While he has been underpowered it's a joy to watch him drive the TM G4+ EVO, he looks composed and shifts weight in and out of corners very smoothly

Guy, who is now driving the V10 Shepherd is a much more aggressive driver and the EVO was a handful for him to drive. Make sure your wheels arent rubbing anywhere near the lower shock balls, wear marks are a good indicator

In EP many drivers use "turning radius" as a measure of steering angle, it's a good technique and I will do some experimentation next time we are on track.

I spent too many laps trying to tame the rear when it was the front causing the problems!

h
Thank you sir... Andrew has pointed out i need to develop a more keen eye as the chassis and the shocks are also different on my new G4JR. The chassis now has the holes pre-drilled for the rear belt tensioner and the shocks are no longer orange, they look like the same shocks as the G4+ Evo. I doubt they are identical as this is a budget model car.

Thank you for reading