R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to Revive On-Road Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 AM
cpjr65
Tech Rookie

Default keep it simple

After reading some of this thread , and looking at some of the ideas and suggestions , while agreeing with most people I believe keeping the race program and cars to be used simple would bring back your touring car program back to life. I come from another form of electric racing (slot cars) and I learned that keeping the classes simple and the racing program (rules) simple, you will get more people to participate at more of the events you would think of. First start with an affordible car that a father and son team could get , its easy to buy 1 car and mod the car up , but 2 cars usually change that up a bit. There are plenty of young families looking to get into a hobby to share, but you will get more (newbies) into the hobby by making it affordable to all new comers not just the guys who been racing for several years. It is easier for veterans of the hobby to locate all the hot parts , due to the experience of the past(not that its a bad thing) and tune thier cars to the best potential , making it very intimadating for new comers to join up and want to participate in any racing program.Find 1 good car to be used , I know everybodies opinion varies , one that can easily be used for stock racing and has plenty of spare parts available, with a good realistic body selection, set the rules as simple as possible and get your vetran racers in on the idea, and promote the hell out of this class by using your lhs and make it happen. One big way to get people to come out to see the racing program is if you have 8 racers (though thats a really low number) set up a charity race race and let the local media know you are doing so. Most organizations will help with the idea, get the name of the track out and see what happens, I have done this with a local track for an event and 100+ people showed up with a radio station event, and the track owner gained 4 new racers. Use the new class cars as the event to be raced , and the interest level will pick up. If you are thinking now all the guys (gals) already racing would have to buy new cars , they might already have some cars to fit in the class with a couple of drive train changes and they will help promote the class , by actually helping newbies and not shunning them away. The vetran racer knows , if thier are no fresh racers to come out , the hobby will eventually die off. Its only an idea and thanks for reading.