R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to Revive On-Road Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM
tc3team
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
Maybe its not the gear that is the problem, because it sounds to me what you are saying is that these newbs are expected to make it with the seasoned vets, which if is the case, is pretty fail.

At the club i drive at, we have a novice class, all new drivers are put in that and they stay there till they have the driving skills to not cause problems to the faster guys or until their lap times improve to class standards. Novice is also run what you brung, has no points scoring and no race winners, with plenty of quality assistance from guys with the experience to help you with getting the most out of the car you brung and with becoming more consistent.
Some guys turn up with very inferior equipment, which is offputting when after being spoken to, could have used the same amount of money or a little more to get something which is better quality if they had known about it is all i'm saying.

We do not have a novice class as such, just regular A B and C mains. The slower guys know why they are in the lower mains as they frequently watch the A, but after schooling, they show potential.

A newcomer who can say they won their race is a good thing for them, but good advice and schooling is just as rewarding and important to seeing them at the track again IMO.

I know of only one guy at the club who has taken his racing too seriously and shown it on the track with his attitude, but he took the time to apologise the other week when it was taken too far, so nearly all of the time everyone is treated with equal respect for each other and that is what you need for a club to work...