R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Chassis Setup App - Have you tried it?
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Martin Crisp
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Looks good! I loved the book, but will wait for the price to drop as I think it's way out of the range foelr what i will pay for an app.
Originally Posted by Robotech
Kind of with Qatmix on this one. Little pricy.

Now, if there was a "light" version where I might be able to see some things, some features, and see what I'm missing in the full version...I might change that opinion. But sight unseen is a bit hard to swallow that price.

Not saying it's NOT worth it, just without seeing it just not willing to take the gamble. Maybe I'll run across someone with it and they'll let me take a look at it.

Originally Posted by R3VoLuTiOn
I never knew MC wrote the xxxmain... learn something new everyday.

I understand theres a lot of time and effort put into the app(not to mention small demographic), but I just cant see myself paying $14.99 for an iphone app.

Call me cheap or whatever, $2 is the most ive spent on an app. However, I would pay $10 for this one.

Let us know if the price drops in the future Martin!

edit:

BB api is disgusting. and the market share is plummeting. Maybe there's no need for one?
Originally Posted by Qatmix
Yup, it's a great book and so I assume this would be top. But it's all about Market dynamics.

The app store has devalued lots of things due to the amount of apps available. Unfortuantley this means that the price people expect to pay is lower than other avenues no matter how good it is.
Regarding the price. I completely understand and agree that the price of this app is certainly more than the vast majority of the apps out there, with most being in the $1 to $2 range, and some of the higher end games like call of duty being about $13, and it is rare to have apps above that, but there are some exceptions such as the TomTom navigation app which is $49 for the us one and over $100 for the euro one. But for sure the average price of an app is just a few bucks.

The difference between those apps and my app has nothing to do with the content and entirely to do with the market size. When you look at apps like angry birds they have a very large market to sell to, in order to justify the time and investment in building it. However, as you can imagine our little RC community is extremely small, so in order to justify the effort and expense of putting together such an app for RC, I really have to charge a higher price than the majority of the apps out there which appeal to s large market.

My original book sold for about $20, and this app has much more content, in addition to calculators, news feeds etc, that I think at $14.99, it is a good value. Everyone that purchased the app seems to really like it, which is very encouraging for me to continue to make it better, and invest more time and effort into it. Eventually I want to allow you to create store and share setups along with many other social network ideas I have.

I did struggle with deciding on the best price point, taking in to consideration the extremely small market that would purchase the app, along with the very low average app price in the app store and the android market. I took my best shot at it, and I expected that some would not want to pay the $14.99, but others would.

A light version for a smaller price is also something I considered for exactly the reasons mentioned by "robotech's" comment, and those types of ideas are still on the table of course.

So as Qatmix indicated, it is about market dynamics, but given the rather small size of the RC market, the app needs to be at a higher price than the $1/2$ apps, which sell hundreds of thousands of apps.

At the end of the day guys, I took my best shot at the price, hoping that it was a reasonable price for value considering the market size, and I truly hope you enjoy the content.

Originally Posted by locked
I guess porting it over to blackberry isn't easily done Martin?. I have to use a blackberry for work unfortunately.

I voted on the site for a web version. For now I'll have to stick with your book or occasionally bugging you at the track.
The technology framework I used to build the app "Titanium by Appcelerator", is working on a port to Blackberry, but I am not entirely sure how well the UI will port...we will see.

I am looking into hosting an online version of the app, but with the additional hosting costs and development expense to build a site, I am holding off on that for now and focusing on the native mobile devices. In the poll I put on my site about 24 people wanted an online version, which although is a very positive indicator, I am not sure 24 people justify the expense of creating this online version just yet . But if the demand is high enough, for sure I will do that.

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Is this app for TC setups or will it work for pan car setups as well?
This app is focused on double A-arm suspension geometry, so it would really only apply to the front suspension geometry on your pan car. However there are a lot of concepts in the book such as weight transfer, camber, caster, slip angle, etc etc, that are not unique to double a-arm suspension. The bottom line is that not all content applies, but the vast majority of the content would. It also applies to offroad as well.

[

Originally Posted by muststopcrashin
i've been reading it all day long, i would say it's a bit more of a ebook, than a app, therefore i was happy with the £10 i paid
Thank you - great to hear !!

Originally Posted by muststopcrashin
i just got it think it worth the money loads of info
Thanks Man!!!