R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Would you clean your car with wd40
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM
SpraydbySprague
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Inertia
Would you use this to clean the plastics parts on your car, kalguard and simple green aren't available where i live.
Simple green not available?

Originally Posted by shesha
I used to wash down my rc stuff with wd40 and or simple green, blow it out with air, i can garantee u all u are doing is forcing dirt into the bearings and sealed places.
Instead use a bruah a moist towel and air takes maybe 5 more minutes to clean up but u will spend less time reinspecting ur bearings and worry aboit rust settling in.
About the only time i used water and simple green then wd40 is when the car gets mud bogged and in that case does not make a difference. Its wet in the first place.
I'm a believer in disassembling the car completely before washing the parts. I have a separate pile for plastic, screws, alloy, bearings, and electronics. This keeps dirt outta the bearings, and gets to all the places on the car where the dirt can hide.

Originally Posted by Sein
I used wd40 before, sprayed the truck down and wiped off access. The next day was a race and I kept losing screws. WD got in all the screw holes and they were vibrating out. Now I blow the truck off with air compressor, then wipe parts down with a damp cloth, and finally spray on a little pledge. Pledge is not oily like wd and it makes all your plastics look new again.
And it makes your car smell lemon fresh!

Originally Posted by John.
I was sceptical about the simple green / brush / hose down / WD40 and dry method too. But it works for me. No issues at all.
Don't forget to remove radio tray, engine, fuel tank, wheels and clean them separately.
I don't use a compressor either. I just feel it would push more crap further into all the nooks and crannies.

So in answer to your opening post. Use any form of detergent (car wash or dish wash is fine) to clean the car and plastics.
Use WD40 to prevent oxidation and lubricate. Getting WD on the plastics is safe in my experience.
I actually noticed a reduction in breakage on my B4. I was running carbon composite arms, and they would snap if you just looked at them wrong. A friend of mine asked me if I used WD40 on them, I said no. He explained the WD40 keeps the parts from drying out and getting brittle. After all, plastic is a petroleum based product. After treating the parts with WD40, the chalky dry look went away, and I saw a less breakage.