R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SRS - Scottsdale The un-official racers thread
Old 07-16-2011, 02:55 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys I wanted to post some information regarding batteries as I have had a bunch of guys asking why they are “puffing” their low C rated batteries.

There are two major things that can damage your lipo batteries! Over-discharging and over charging.

Over-Charging
Most chargers will limit the charge to 8.40v-8.44v so if you are using a good lipo charger this will limit the possibilities of over-charging.

Over-Discharging-
Generally there are two issues that cause over-discharging. The first and most simple are not having lipo cutoff/low voltage enabled on your electronic speed controller. The second issue is excessive amp draw which is common when running modified or heavier cars with 550 motors ala SC 4x4 and 1/8th scale electric. The 550 motors draw more amperage than any lower c rated batteries can provide. The higher the C rating, the more continuous amps the battery can provide. If a batteries C rating is too low it will not support the current draw that the motor requires and will over discharge the battery causing it to expand. It will not discharge the battery in a sense of hitting low voltage. However it will draw more amps then the battery can handle and increase the internal temperature. Thunder Power 65C packs will handle 65C cont/130C Bursts (344A/689A) and can solve a lot of the issues many guys are seeing.

Obviously there are many other things that can factor into heat and runtimes with electric vehicles. Sufficient C rated batteries won’t solve all of everyone’s problems. However they will eliminate a very dangerous problem many guys are facing. Motor selection and gearing are also huge factors. Be sure to go through your entire vehicle and check for binding or anything else that can cause issues.

Be sure to check out a battery manufacturer’s warranty and customer service program before making your purchase. Thunder Power is an industry leader when it comes to these services. That is why we choose to sell Thunder Power batteries at our location.

Please keep in mind that at the 25th Annual Cactus Classic this year the 4wd SC Class had to be adjusted due to some of the problems many of you are facing. Basically with the current race pace the current electronics are not capable of running longer length mains. Please keep in mind that was done with some of the best drivers and equipment available in the market today.

These comments and suggestions are not biased regarding any sponsorship that I may have regarding my personal racing endeavors as you can see from my signature.