R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 35 Amp Graded cells from SMC coming soon
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 08:04 AM
tel
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Going to higher amp matching is a good thing as long as it reflects what's going on at the race track. The matching process should be as abusive on the cells as your 7 turn modified touring car on carpet. This will filter out the weak and marginal cells more effectively. I see 2 mains reasons for matchers to move to higher amp draws:

1) If you are a large matcher like SMC and you can shave 30 seconds off matching times you save huge money. You can have fewer matchers to do the same work with less maintenance.

2) 35 amp matching is closer to what's going on in modified racing at the extremes (again 7 turn touring on carpet).

Let's say you can dump your pack in 5.5 minutes, that's 330 seconds. If your pack was matched at 35 amps and has a run time of 400 seconds your race conditions show you pulling greater than 35 amps on average.

If racers can continue to dump ever increasing capacity cells in ~5 minutes we need to up the matching current to mimic what's happenning on the race track. When 40 amp matchers are available matching companies will likely move to those just like they are moving to 35 amp now.

BTW, if you think the new SMC packs and the matching procedure are bogus, try a pack. Don't complain about stuff you haven't run or at least tested. I'll buy from any company that has a good product and makes me faster.