R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Post How can i build a R/C car (possible) without using a kit?
Old 07-09-2011, 12:41 PM
soldier16
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by valk
if you dont have any tools or anything at home it will be difficult/expensive to try and design your own car.
though there is nothing stopping you from trying. a program like google sketch up is free and gives you enough options to draw up bulkheads, strut towers, chassis pans and decks. you could go as far as designing more complex parts like steering knuckles, differentials, shock bodies ect, but why bother. there are any number of those parts on the market that work just fine already and cost nothing.. control arms for my tc5 were $5/pair. designing my own would be a rather pointless process unless i wanted them out of some other material and didnt wanna pay the price for alu ones.

you could very easily design your own chassis parts, and just bolt up factory mechanics to them.
I plan to do this to make a nitro tc5 sometime down the road by making a custom chassis pan and mishmashing parts from ntc3 and tc5 together.

there are custom cars on this forum though. also check out custom scale modelers forums.
So, do you think it will be best if i buy a kit then? Also, Do you think it is better to make a car using a kit- it just seems too easy using a kit because i would like to write something about this on my university application.

So, i am kind of confused as to what to do. I have the whole summer ahead of me and doing a project which will help my college application seems like the best idea. So i just wanna make something which is both challenging and fun.
I made a boat with remote control out of a tissue box about 3 years ago.
search for "Boat with remote control tissue" on youtube