R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Nitro Down Fall Period Common?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Teufel Racing
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

That's true TC,

But sometimes life grants you with something that you weren't looking for and can take you in a different direction. With balance, things always work. Not just in RC either, rather life in general.

I did read you posts about going elec. and 1/8th tracks. Elec. 1/8th has it's own set of Pro's and Con's. I can't say for sure that one is better over the other for me. Though I do understand the headaches of tuning a nitro motor. Has taken me a long time to figure most of it out and still learn new things all the time. Each motor is the same yet different. Get carried away with tuning an ESC and you'll find that some of those headaches of tuning are pretty close to nitro.

Also wasn't sure what you referred to with "true" 1/8th tracks? I'm going to guess that you were meaning the general size of the track and all things on it being more for 1/8th racing as opposed to the general track size and features on it that's more geared to 1/10th. I actually prefer running 1/8th on a track that is geared to that scale. I have found that it's not that much harder on the equipment once you figure how to run on it. Sure the size of the layout is bigger and the jumps are bigger, but all the same things you would do with a 1/10th scale on a 1/10th track carry over. Downsiding jump sections helps a ton on the equipment, plus it looks way better to do and is usually faster.

When you run on a 1/10 friendly track with a 1/8th (nitro or Elec.) you tend to over jump a lot of stuff and have a tendencey to land flat in places that you shouldn't. That gets to be pretty tuff on the equipment after a while. Flat landings are one of my biggest pet peeves on layouts. I always prefer a nice flowing layout, but will race on anything that's there. When you do a layout for both 1/10th and 1/8th, it gets to be a very fine balancing act to make the layout work for both scales. Not impossible, but takes a lot of thought to get right and usually some trial and error to tweak the layout to get it to work the best for both. I've always liked tracks that have seperate 1/10th and 1/8th tracks for that very reason, but most places don't have the room for two tracks nor the racers to warrent two tracks.