R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya FF03
Thread: Tamiya FF03
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Waco
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dave5290
Hi all.

I'm looking at getting a Tamiya FF03 (not the pro version) and running a 15t motor.

This will mainly be used for carpark racing (bashing).

Besides the obvious bearings, is there anything else I should be considering? ie. pinion, gearing, etc. (I already have Radio / ESC sorted).

I'm no good at working out gear ratios, so if you have any suggestions on gearing, please let me know what tooth pinion/spur to use

Keep in mind, I'm not looking at spending much in upgrades at the moment, just want a basic car that the 15t isn't going to destroy

Cheers guys - I look forward to your thoughts.

Dave.
Hi Dave, my son & I both run one & his is almost stock (we both have the alloy spur gear upgrade), but he runs dogbones, etc. whereas I have virtually every hop-up you can imagine & he has now out-qualified me several times (I taught him well ).

The other thing that we did on both cars was bearings on the steering & front suspension rocker arms.

We run 27x1 stock motors & the standard gear setup is fine. You may take advantage of the fact that the FF03 can use other brand spur gears & therefore you can use 48dp/ 64dp pinions, if you already have them, saving additional cost. Ratios are difficult things to recommend as there are other factors to consider; track layout, style of driving, temerature, etc. Because you're running a hotter motor, you may need to use a smaller pinion, especially if you are doing a lot of stop/ starting.

I hope this helps.