R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 35 Amp Graded cells from SMC coming soon
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 04:03 PM
ProMaX
Tech Apprentice

Having read right through this thread (and yes it did take some reading and digesting!) nothing came to me such as "WOW!!! 35A matched packs amazing I must go out and buy some NOW!!".

I have got to know many matchers over the years, the clever and innovative and dedicated people who in many cases are/were also racers. True they know a lot from their learned experience gained from years of matching batteries, BUT they're not the clever people who design the batteries or do the R&D at a company such as Sanyo or GP and so cannot offer the in-depth technical explanations called for by some. YES they do know a lot more than those of us who simply buy the batteries charge them and race with them. A few posters on here have asked valid questions about various points of contention that have been made and will continue to be made regardless of the cells in use (be they 3300, 3600 or 3900 etc in future) and the rate they are discharged at or the method employed to cycle and match and zap them etc.

My cynical/pragmatic view (shared by a few others it appears) and not as a 'for' or 'against' 35A matching, by myself as a seeker of truth is...

Regardless of if it's better in any way, the fact that it's available will mean that SMC team drivers (or any other 35A matched cell supplier) will win with 35A matched cells not because they're using 35A matched cells but simply because they've been winning with 30A matched cells because they're good drivers with a good car/ESC/motor/battery package. Because they win other lesser drivers will think they will win as well and will buy into 35A. Other battery matching companies will see this happeneing and will follow the lead and adopt 35A. The argument will always be "drivers win with 35A so they must be better". If no drivers win at top level with 35A then they are most likely not better. The top companies have the best drivers signed up so they will win with whatever equipment they use.

The irony of it all is that if 35A cells are 'seen to be better' its all rather convenient that it favours the money making aspect of cell matching... obvioulsy higher throughput at 35A than 30A. As cell capacities increase every year matchers have to maintain their production output to maintain their income. In fact they have to increase output to increase sales to make more $'s... you get the picture!! The only way to match more cells (that have to be fully discharged to get the matching data) is to discharge at a higher current or expand the business, (buy a bigger building and more matching hardware). And as a result of 35A matching maybe the cells don't last as long at peak performance, what with being zapped and cooked etc, but hey who cares (who cares that we all end up having to buy packs more often)... 35A matched packs ARE better coz SMC et al say they are!!! They may truly believe it, and they may actually really be better, or... ?? The average Joey probably doesn't even read things or here, and will buy what his LHS or his racing friends say is best, so sales will be maintained despite what the tech-heads may write or say.

Well, that's how I see it, but then who am I to know the truth or really know the answers?