R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2011 AARCMCC On Road Electric National Titles - West Coast Perth WA 16-21st November
Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 PM
waOscar
Tech Addict

Default Mini Tyre Proposal for Nationals

(had planned to get this up earlier, hate it when the day job gets in the way of the racing stuff)

I preface these comments by stating I am not a mini racer. The final decision to adopt any control on mini tyres is AARCMCC's as they are the governing body for the event. Any suggestion made to AARCMCC by the West Coast committee will be guided by feed back from our club members and comments on this forum.

Please be constructive, give well thought out feedback and hopefully any controls adopted at this Nationals can be a good testing ground for future events.

The AARCMCC rules suggests a controlled tyre be used for mini.
The benefits of a controlled tyre are well know from other race divisions.
I believe most AARCMCC events to date have not used a control tyre for mini.

Our committee would prefer not to have to supurvised glueing for mini tyres like they do for touring cars. Mini drivers usually use differant combinations front to rear and the wear is also uneven front to rear.

To avoid needing supurvised glueing we will need to use a tyre which has "branding" on the side wall. Unfortunately this will limit our options. I believe only Tamiya, Sweep and HPI currently have side wall branding.

Here is the plan;
1. Maximum of 10 wheel assemblies (tyre, insert, rim) per competitor for the event. (Qualifying and Finals). (practice is open - use whatever you want)
2. The scrutineers will have unique stickers for each mini entrant numbered 1 through 10. Stickers will be applied to each wheel at the CONCLUSION of each race, during usual scrutineering.
3. Wheel combinations can be used in any combination of front or rear.
4. Controlled tyre Sweep (any compound) OR HPI X pattern OR Open
5. Any insert, any standard offset mini rim.
6. Any mini found to have used there 10 stickers and be presented with unmarked rims, will be disqualified from that qualifyer/race.

If we elect to go with Sweep - then compound will be open. If HPI is selected we are talking about the X pattern. Tamiya tyres were vetoed by our club members as being to expensive.

I idea is to limit the total number of tyres used during competition and consequently help keep costs down. At the same time we want to leave the decision regarding how the tyres are used between front or rear pairs up to individual drivers.

The perfect outcome would be for all drivers to be on the same rubber in keeping with the "controlled" aspects of mini racing. However selecting one rubber brand which the majority agree on could be problematic.

Ok, leave it up to you guys to give feedback.

Cheers,
Toby