R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Los magnificos rc GT2
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM
jneg
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by igoris
Thanks tony for the fast answer. I'm lucky about this information.
So, one question more, Byron 20% is good fuel for this engine? Plug must be original or maybe i must order OS plug (8)? This car will be used only in summer.
Byron is a great fuel brand. Glow plugs depend on tunning and ambient temperature, altitude and relative humidity. For fuel if you are at high altitude most of the time higher nitro is used but for your application 20% will do. Another thing is that the carburetors in these engines have a very fine thread in the needles. So a little goes a long way. I would suggest that you read your instructions and start at the factory settings. Then start the engine and bring it to operating temps (about 2 minutes of engine running). Now imagine that the high end needle or main needle is a clock. Then try to give it gas and see how the engine responds. It should be kind of sluggish and with lots of smoke coming from the pipe. If it stalls then close the main needle (top end needle) about an hour. Now you can do this until the engine revs freely and the engine temperature do not go above 240 degrees Fahrenheit (sorry I don't have it in Cs). Another thing is to run the car between needle changes to allow for the change to be noticeable. If you don't give it time then the changes will be superficial and you risk of damaging the engine. When you determine that the engine is doing good and the speed and temperature are ok then it is time to tune the bottom end needle. What I do and I recommend new people do is to bring the car to a complete stop in front of you (pointed towards the area you are running not at your legs or anyone else). Then count to 10 and go to full throttle if the engine dies then you are too lean and need to open a little bit the low end needle. If the engine sputters and does not want to go then you are too rich and need to close a little. You must repeat this until you can get the full 10 seconds without problems. Also try to count to fifteen and if it doesn't sputters then you are too lean as well. Then after you complete this you can pinch the gas line (you need the body off for this) about an inch from the carb and if it accelerates before 3 seconds you are too lean on the low end. If it goes for more that 5 seconds you are too rich on the low end. Another thing with engines that are hard to tune or for new tuners is to use a hotter glow plug. I don't remember if the OS 8 is medium or what is but if it is then try a hotter plug. This will help you out in the tuning of the motor. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by jneg; 06-28-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: More info...