R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 710
Thread: Serpent 710
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2004, 07:32 PM
InitialD
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: clutch setup

Originally posted by Proficar403
I have been running a .4 gap for a while now. This weekend, I will try modding the flyweights with the setscrews just to see what the difference is. I have noticed that, with the .4 gap, I do not have that much of a window for adjustment. It seems that any adjustments lead to excessive bogging or slip. Hopefully the new flyweights will make a difference and give me more of a sweet spot.
I use to use .4 mm clutch gap when I started out. But that was just with the modded flyweights put in between the post WITHOUT the set screws. Worked quite well but with 0.6 or 0.7 mm clutch gap with 1 mm spacing on the pre-tension nut and the threading, I got more aggressive clutch engagement.

When I swithed to putting set screws on the flyweights, I noticed that the car would still pull after after 15 to 20 feet (somewhere at the top end RPM on 1st gear). It's like a small gearing change in between the 1st and 2nd gear. When 2nd gear comes in, the car just pulls. All these are with the stock black clutch shoes and stock Centax spring.